— Mary Washington College in the 1930s

Research Log #3

“Mary Louise Carter’s Opening Page.” University of Mary Washington Special Collections Library. (accessed February 10, 2012).

This week I went back to Special Collections to look at Mary Louise Carter’s scrapbook another time. She refers to the school as “Fredericksburg State Teacher College.” She attended from September 1931 to June 1935. It was so interesting to see this scrapbook again. It was so fragile and had so much information, both social and academic. She had many tickets, May Day memorabilia, letters she had kept, and newspaper clippings. Especially towards the end of the scrapbook, she had a lot of marriage announcements, which must have been her friends, or people she knew.

“Memorabilia.” University of Mary Washington Special Collections Library. (accessed February 10, 2012).

She also had her first and last “Program Cards” which were her class schedules. From this we can see a couple of things. First, they attended classes on Saturdays, and each day had periods, but the periods each day are different, like today with a MWF schedule and a TR schedule. They also had lunch at the same time each day.

“First Program Card.” University of Mary Washington Special Collections Library. (accessed February 10, 2012).

“Last Program Card.” University of Mary Washington Special Collections Library. (accessed February 10, 2012).

She also had a graduation program, pictures, and newspaper clippings announcing her graduation. Her graduation was the Twenty-fourth Commencement on June 3, 1935 at 10:00AM. It says that the graduation took place in the “Open Air Theater” which make me believe that it was in what we know today as the amphitheater. Unlike today, and the picture I found earlier this semester of the 1930 commencement, it doesn’t seem to be held in Ball Circle.

“Graduation.” University of Mary Washington Special Collections Library. (accessed February 10, 2012).

This coming week I am planning on looking at the final scrapbook available in the Special Collections library. I am hoping to find as much as I did in this scrapbook because it would be so helpful in recreating the classroom experience. I think I might also look at some course catalogs since one of my group members mentioned that there were a lot of pictures included in those as well.